Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Where Writers Write: Susie Sexton

Welcome to another installment of TNBBC's Where Writers Write!

Where Writers Write is a weekly series that will feature a different author every Wednesday as they showcase their writing spaces using short form essay, photos, and/or video. As a lover of books and all of the hard work that goes into creating them, I thought it would be fun to see where the authors roll up their sleeves and make the magic happen. 



This is Susie Sexton. 

She currently writes monthly columns "Old Type Writer" for a popular local blog “Talk of the Town” and "Homeward Angle" for the "Columbia City Post and Mail" newspaper. She has been a frequent contributor to the literary journal "Moronic Ox," and her poetry was selected by Wayne State professor M.L. Liebler to be featured in "Poetic Resonance Imaging: Behind the Door." She also has been featured in "Writing Raw" and "InD'tale" magazines. 

Her first book "Secrets of an Old Typewriter" is available now as a paperback (as well as download formats) at www.open-bks.com, www.amazon.com, and www.susieduncansexton.com




Where Susie Sexton Writes


I still live in the tiny, cute house in the tiny, occasionally cute town where I grew up. I upgraded to a computer from a Royal Typewriter a few years ago, and that computer sits in our back room that once doubled as an office/rec room for my father. It is a happily haunted house full of memories and love and I try to channel those sprightly specters through my writing.


My workspace, I suspect like that of many writers is cluttered with the ephemera of a life lovingly lived. I have a full-sized cutout of JFK looming above my monitor, more piles of paper than the Library of Congress, ashtrays, half-empty Pepsi One cans, a handy magnifying glass for that itty bitty print they seem to love on the internet, and my faithful feline sidekicks. My space. My cave. And like another one of my heroes Greta Garbo, I want to be let alone…so my cave will likely never be photographed. Magicians never reveal their secrets! ;D

3 comments: